Sunday 15 April 2012

Finished film poster

After refreshing my Photoshop skills whilst making my magazine cover, I found making my film poster easier to do and I didn't need to do any drafts due to my plan I had previously made. This is the finished result:


I started with creating a new Photoshop file with size A4 international paper. I then created a radial gradient with the shades #db4f50 and #ff5a5a using the gradient tool. I downloaded a font in the style of the Beatles logo online from www.fontspace.com. The font I used is called BOOTLE. I created a new layer on Photoshop and used the text tool to write 'All You Need Is' in black letters (#000000) and size 70pt font. I made the first letters of each word larger (100pt) to make the texts appear to look more like the Beatles logo. I then added a drop shadow and an inner shadow to make the text look more dramatic. I used black text because it contrasts against the background colour of the poster and matches Paul's suit.
I then created another layer and used the text tool to write 'Love' in the same font except I made the text larger ('L' was written in 200pt and the rest of the word was written in 150pt) and I used a red colour (#dd0303). I used the colour red as it symbolises romance, conveying the romance genre clearly. I also used an inner shadow to make sure the colours of the text and the background contrast as well as adding dramatic effect. I gave these two layers of text centre alignment so the would stand out and I placed the text at the top of the poster so it is still eye-catching and it leaves plenty of space for my main photo.
I then created another layer and wrote the slogan of our film, 'There's nothing you can do that can't be done' in size 24pt font with the first letters of each word in 36pt. Similarly to the other text, I used the font BOOTLE. I used a light pink colour (#febaba) as pink is another colour associated with romance. I used a drop shadow and inner shadow so that the text did not blend in with the background and the slight outline created a boundary between the colours. I placed this text under the title of the film as a film poster convention.
I created another new layer and then went on www.dafont.com to download a font which was similar to the conventional font which can be found at the bottom of most film posters. I downloaded a font called SF Movie Poster which suited this style of text perfectly. I used a black colour (#000000) and used size 30pt. I wrote 'A WORKING TITLE PRODUCTION STARRING JOSH FARRANT MELANIE WRIGHT MOLLIE LAMBERT'; I did not use commas or the word and (or &) because according to my research,  most film posters do this. When I tried to write more text beneath this in the same layer, it created a large gap between the two lines which I was not satisfied with so instead, I created another new layer. I used the same style of font and wrote 'DIRECTED BY JOSEPH DODDS EDITED BY WESLEY GYECHIE JORDAN MATTHEWS'. I placed both these text layers at the bottom of my poster, like most conventional film posters, and gave them centre alignment. I also gave the text a drop shadow to make it look less plain and more 3D. I then aligned the one of the lines slightly to the left in order to make room for some icons later on.
I then opened up the image I intended to use in a separate Photoshop tab. I created a new photo filter adjustment layer and chose the cooling filter (80) to remove the yellow undertones. I used the quick selection tool, lasso tool and magnetic lasso tools to cut me, Josh and Mollie out of the image. I then used the refine edge tool to make the edges of the image look smoother. I then used the blur tool, clone stamp tool and smudge tool to improve our looks physically. I copied and pasted this selection onto my poster and placed us in the centre of the poster. I placed us there because when an audience sees this poster, the first thing they see will be Stella, Paul and Lucy and this image gives the audience their first impressions of the film. In order to blend the image into the poster, making the image less sharp, I added a layer mask to my photo's layer and created a transparent gradient. I did this by applying a black/white gradient to the image. I then added a drop shadow and inner shadow effect to this image to make the characters look more 3D and to blend the image in more with the background instead of creating a sharp contrast.
Once I had completed these steps, I added some icons. I found a BBFC certificate 15 image and made it smaller using the free transform tool. I then found a Facebook icon on Google Images and used the free transform tool again to make it smaller. I removed any unwanted background colour from these icons using the same selection tools I used before with my photo. Next to the Facebook icon, I used the text tool to write 'All You Need Is Love' which indicates that that is the name of the fan page for the film on Facebook. I wrote this text in bold Calibri font and size 8pt using the colour #040404. I used this font because it is clear, I chose this font size so it is a similar size to the Facebook icon and I chose this colour because it matches the rest of the black text. I also added an inner shadow effect to this text to make it similar to the rest of the text again.

If I made more changes to my film magazine I would of taken another photo which I could use as the background of my poster instead of a gradient. For example, I could of used a park which is where some of the film is set. I also would of given myself more time to work on this poster to experiment with new Photoshop tools as I used similar tools in my poster and my film magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment