Monday 23 April 2012

Evaluation- in what ways does your media product challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Trailer


Our trailer challenges the forms and conventions of real film trailers due to our film appealing to two different audiences; young women and fans of the Beatles. Most romantic comedies tend to appeal to women which is why women are part of our target audience. This audience combined with The Beatles huge fanbase creates a massive potential audience for our film. Our trailer also does not use as many frames as some trailers do; this is mainly due to the amount of time we had to film and edit our trailer. From the research on romantic comedy trailers I have previously conducted, I learned that most romantic comedy trailers feature around 94- 120 shots whereas our trailer only features around 16. However, the shots we took for our trailer were longer than the shots in conventional romantic comedy trailers which allowed our trailer to still be a similar length. If we were given more time we could follow conventions and take more shots at more angles so that we could reach the same amount of frames which conventional romantic comedy trailers use.


Poster


The only way my poster particularly challenges film poster conventions is by not featuring a release date. I did not feature a release date because it would not fit on the poster. If I were to recreate my poster I could alter the sizes of the layers on my poster to make room for a release date or perhaps experiment with a landscape poster. However, what I have done is not uncommon. There are many film posters which do not feature release dates but they would be unsuitable for cinema advertising as the audience would need to know the date of its release. Here are some posters which do not feature release dates:



Magazine cover



When I was creating my magazine cover, I didn't challenge any major conventions. However, I did challenge a few minor ones which can sometimes be found on magazine covers. Female magazines that focus mostly on gossip and film magazines always have a lot of text on the front cover. My magazine cover only features five main pieces of text which could be seen as too little. Female gossip magazines such as Heat tend feature many images whereas my magazine only features one. I did this to maintain the balance between the two genres whilst edging more towards film magazine conventions because film magazines feature very few images (mostly just one image).
Magazines such as heat also feature more contrast when it comes to colour schemes. For example, the image used above features red, black, pink, purple, yellow, white and black. None of these colours particularly match. My magazine cover follows a pastel colour scheme which doesn't stand out as much as heat does. However, this allows my magazine to maintain the sophistication of female magazines such as Glamour and Marie Clare and the simple colour schemes of film magazines like Empire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment