Thursday 29 March 2012

Finished magazine cover

Before I started creating my magazine cover, I needed to edit the photo I was planning to use on the cover. I edited the lighting of my photo by creating a new photo filter adjustment layer and choosing the cooling filter (80). This removed the yellowy tinge that my photo previously had.


I then created another Photoshop file in the size International Paper A4 then created a radial gradient in two shades of grey. Using the quick selection tool I cut me and Mollie out of the original photo and used the refine edge tools (mostly refine radius tool) to make some of the lines look less rough and to remove some of the previous background colour from the gaps in Mollie's hair. I then copied and pasted the cut out on to my new image and added a slight drop shadow and inner shadow to make the image stand out more.


I then used the auto tone and auto colour tones to make me and Mollie's skin tones look more natural. Then using tools such as the clone stamp tool, the blur tool and the smudge tool I removed me and Mollie's imperfections. I rotated the image 90 degrees clockwise and wrote some text saying 'TAKE' in Frank Gothic Medium, size 72pt in the colour #ff96ac. Then I rotated the image back 90 degrees anticlockwise and used the text tool again, this time writing 'ONE' in Lucida Sans, size 200pt and in the colour #ff6497. Above this text I wrote "THE ONLY FILM MAGAZINE FOR FEMALES" in Lucida Sans, size 24pt and in the colour #ffffff. I added an outer and inner glow to all the text to make it stand out and it also gives imagery of bright lights which are used when creating films. The phrase 'the only film magazine for females' would encourage female readers because the word 'only' makes the magazine look exclusive and desirable. It also specifies the target audience of the magazine. I used pinks and whites for the text because this is also feminine, conveying the target audience clearly whilst appealing to them too. I then created a separate layer and cut out mine and Mollie's heads, then cut and pasted them into the new layer. I placed this layer in front of the masthead of the magazine so that mine and Mollie's heads were visible. This is a technique frequently used on magazine covers as the models on the front are important when encouraging people to buy the magazine.


I then proceeded to add a barcode with the magazine's website to the bottom right-hand corner of my magazine cover as a typical magazine convention. Then I added lots of text related to the main photo and some smaller text about other films released that month. Most of the text is pink and orange because this is a feminine colour scheme and the colours go well together whilst contrasting effectively against the images and colours I've previously used. I used black text for 'The Woman In Black' to make it match the film's title and to make it eye-catching. I used a variety of inner and outer glows and inner and drop shadows as well as many different fonts to make the magazine cover exciting and eye-catching. Other magazine conventions I added to my front cover were the price and the date that this issue is released and they are featured below the masthead so that they are easy to find. 



I think the strengths of my magazine cover are that it features all the necessary conventions of magazines such as a masthead, a slogan, models on the cover, a barcode, a price, a website and the date of the issue's release. I also used conventions of film magazines such as only using a singular image and featuring lots of text. All the articles advertised on my front cover are for films too. My idea for my film magazine is also very individual and it would be an independent magazine due to its female focus.
The weaknesses of my magazine cover are that it does not appeal to a large audience. As my target audience is so specific, it would not gain as many readers as other film magazines such as Total Film and Empire. The colour scheme I have used could also be seen as very stereotypical due to the large amount of pink and it is important to consider the types of women who may read this magazine and this colour scheme may not appeal to all of them. However, as this issue's main focus is on a romantic comedy this is acceptable. Pink is often a colour used in many young girls' magazines so my colour scheme can also be seen as a weakness because my magazine is not aimed at young girls, it is likely to be read by females aged 18- 31. 
Changes I could of possibly made to my magazine would be featuring the institution that owns my magazine to raise awareness of it. I could pay more attention to the costumes of me and Mollie on the cover; I could convey us as being more like our characters instead of ourselves personally like other film magazines. The costumes me and Mollie wore made it difficult for me to come up with an appropriate colour scheme due to the contrast in our outfits; it was hard to find colours that wouldn't match or clash badly with Mollie's red shirt.

This is my finished product:

No comments:

Post a Comment