Monday 23 April 2012

Evaluation- in what ways does your media product develop forms and conventions of real media products?

Trailer



When I develop forms and conventions, I am updating or changing them slightly. For our trailer, we took the idea of a film inspired by The Beatles' music and updated it to a modern romantic comedy. Many promotional films about The Beatles have been made such as Hey Jude and A Day in the Life but these weren't recent.

How The Beatles used to dress.

How the characters dressed on our film poster.
The way the characters dress is in the style of teenagers in 2012 instead of The Beatles-style clothing (excluding Paul in the photo on the left, his dress sense on the film poster was meant to be an original convention of The Beatles dress sense). The only way we made it similar way by using original songs by The Beatles and by naming our characters relevant names to the Beatles (for example, Paul like Paul McCartney, Stella like Stella McCartney and Lucy like the song 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds').

Magazine cover



I developed a new genre of magazine by combining the conventions of a film magazine with a female magazine. The purpose of a film magazine is to give the audience information about upcoming films and the purpose of a female magazine is to give information relevant to females about conventional female interests such as fashion, men and dieting. Female magazines also have a huge focus on gossip. I combined these two genres by making my magazine focus on upcoming films and film information as well as the gossip on set about topics relevant to females. I used plenty of text on the cover and contrasted the colours of the text as this is a convention frequently used by both genres of magazine.I took background ideas from female magazines and Entertainment Weekly and came up with the idea of a gradient background although film magazines usually have a suitable background image. If I were to recreate my film magazine it is likely that I would experiment with a background image instead of a gradient to add more film magazine conventions. Film magazines tend to use quite male-centred film magazines with lots of dark colours so I appealed to my female readership by using lighter colours instead and more feminine colours like pink and pastels. The main story of my front cover focuses on my film, All You Need Is Love. However, instead of focusing on the main film making it focuses more on the individual actresses' success. If I were to make this more film focused, I could focus on the actresses' roles and the actual film more than the actresses personally. However, I have featured a few other pieces of text conveying information about simply films which secures my magazine in the film magazine genre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment