Wednesday 5 October 2011

Ice text effect

In a media class we learned how to give text an icy effect in Photoshop CS5 using many different tools. This was the most complicated text editing I have done and I learned many new skills.

Firstly, I created a Photoshop document with 640 x 480 dimensions and I filled in the layer black with the paint bucket tool. Then I used the text tool to write my name in white writing and the font, Georgia. This text usually works better with a thick bold style but I wanted to be experimental.  I rotated the canvas 90 degrees clockwise then used the wind option under filter and stylize to add a windy effect to my text before rotating my text back 90 degrees anticlockwise. I then used the facet tool under filter and pixelate to edit the hue, saturation and lightness of my text (Hue= 210, saturation= 60 and lightness= 0) and I made sure colourize was selected. Then under blending options in layer and layer style, I changed the settings on bevel and emboss to:
Style: Emboss
Technique: Smooth
Depth: 150%
Direction: Up
Size: 10px
Soften: 0px

Then I proceeded to create an outer glow:
Blend mode: screen
Opacity: 50%
Noise: 10%
Range: 20%
Jitter: 0%

I had to repeat some steps to create a better effect on my text due to my font choice and this was the finished result:


No comments:

Post a Comment